Re: HomeSite 4.5, PWS 4 and FP2K

by =?iso-8859-1?Q?St=E9phane?= Bergeron <stephberg(at)videotron.ca>

 Date:  Tue, 04 Jul 2000 18:29:33 -0400
 To:  hwg-software(at)hwg.org
>apologize if this is not the right list to ask.

Hi Kathleen and welcome!

This list doesn't get much traffic but you still can get pretty timely=20
Techniques list but this one's fine.

>When I open HomeSite and select "open from Web" and open
>http://localhost/mywebname
>it opens the web, but displays all the pages (.asp, .htm and .css) as
>temporary pages in C:\windows\temp\FrontPageTempDir
>Since it has 'renamed' all the files to be temporary, none of my images=
 show
>up, and the external style sheet does not get applied.

You don't have to (and probably shouldn't) open pages "from Web" for local=
=20
files in HomeSite.  The server mappings that you have set apply when you=20
"Browse" the file you are editing either within HomeSite or with a preview=
=20
in external browser. If the file resides in a "mapped" directory and you=20
have a virtual directory set for it in PWS then it will be parsed by the=20
local Web server when you preview it.   Open from Web is nice when you want=
=20
to see the source code of a page and don't want to download it first or=20
save it as Web page through your browser.

>I think this is a case of which comes first, the chicken or the egg.
>Do I open FP2K, and then open a page in Homesite?

You can open directly in HomeSite just like any local file.  You don't need=
=20
to have FP open at all.

>Or do I open HomeSite first, and then open the page I want to work on? Do I
>open that page using 'open from web' or do I navigate to
>C:\inetpub\wwwroot\mywebname?

As I said above, you just navigate to the file locally.

HTH!

St=E9phane Bergeron