Re: Better than Dreamweaver?

by =?iso-8859-1?Q?St=E9phane?= Bergeron <stephberg(at)videotron.ca>

 Date:  Tue, 21 Nov 2000 21:26:37 -0500
 To:  hwg-software(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
At 01:27 AM 22/11/00 +0000, you wrote:
>I'm looking for an HTML editor and website management tool.  I'm currently=
=20
>using Dreamweaver but wondering if there are anything better out there.=20
>Something more on the higher end/professional... possibly version control=
=20
>feature.  Thanks!

Nope, not in my view.  Dreamweaver is still the best visual tool by far and=
=20
it _is_ the high end.  Have you checked the new features for Dreamweaver 4=
=20
that will be out in early December?  Take a look at this page:

http://www.macromedia.com/software/dreamweaver/productinfo/newfeatures/

Some of them include a JavaScript debugger, integration with Visual Source=
=20
Safe and WebDav, a much better code editor (with color coding...) in=20
addition to split view (work visually and see the changes in the code as=20
you go... or vice-versa...), much tighter integration with Fireworks 4 (yes=
=20
a new version of that will be out as well), etc.  From the testimony of=20
beta testers in the Dreamweaver and DW UltraDev news groups, the new=20
features page only scratches the surface of what's new and all that has=20
been fixed or improved.  And if you are into database integration do take a=
=20
look at Dreamweaver UltraDev 4 (that's what I use... can't wait for the new=
=20
version).  New features for UD can be found here (UltraDev offers the same=
=20
functionality as Dreamweaver plus server side development and database=20
connectivity tools):

http://www.macromedia.com/software/ultradev/productinfo/newfeatures/

I have been a hand coder (HomeSite) for a long time but I admit I was=20
impressed with Dreamweaver UltraDev and the new version looks like a really=
=20
great upgrade.  I now use both and use UltraDev more and more.  I have=20
indeed tried the alternative (FP, GoLive, etc) but Dreamweaver/DW UltraDev=
=20
is really above the pack for me if only for the fact that it writes very=20
good code and leaves your alone.  I never had to use source control=20
software before but it looks like the new version will enable you to do=20
so.  Like I said, to me, Dreamweaver IS the high end of visual editors and=
=20
it looks like it will stay there...

Cheers!

St=E9phane Bergeron