Re: Better than Dreamweaver

by =?iso-8859-1?Q?St=E9phane?= Bergeron <stephberg(at)videotron.ca>

 Date:  Thu, 11 Jan 2001 06:34:54 -0500
 To:  hwg-software(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
At 12:56 AM 11/01/01 -0500, you wrote:
>Fuzzy said:
> >>Neither of these applications could turn out a valid HTML file on a bet.
>
>Then Moe said:
> >I can't speak for GoLive (and in fact, the bloated code GoLive 3 or
> >4.x produced was one of the reasons I rejected it) but at least
> >Dreamweaver can.
>

>So I butt in with:
>Operative word here is VALID, right Fuzz?  If DW can write code that
>validates, then SIGN ME UP!

*Mostly* is the operative word here... ;-)  In fact, as much as I like=20
Dreamweaver it does not produce valid HTML out of the box for the simple=20
reason that the default template doesn't have a doctype declaration so it=20
produces invalid HTML documents.  Once that's fixed it's possible to create=
=20
valid code in Dreamweaver if you stay clear of the same non valid elements=
=20
one might add even by coding by hand.  The nice thing about Dreamweaver is=
=20
that it doesn't add weird and funky tags and attributes to the code like=20
GoLive, Front Page and other editors do.

>PS - I don't write valid code either, and I write it by hand.  But I could
>;-)

I write valid code most of the time and the only exception is when I make=20
concessions to NN 4...

>PPS - I'm seeing so many V4 and V5 browsers in my agent logs these days
>that I'm tempted to use some sort of CSS solution that gives you the same
>effect as marginheight=3D"0" marginwidth=3D"0" topmargin=3D"0"=20
>leftmargin=3D"0"  (my one
>concession to the pixel weenies I work for)
>
>in the body tag.  But I'll only use it IF
>
>1.  It's valid (I'm already invalid, using another invalid method doesn't
>really buy me much).
>2.  It works in all V4.x and above browsers (even NN 4.0).
>3.  It doesn't crash ANY browser (not even LYNX).
>If I could do that, I too could write valid code.  Can anyone help me out?

If you are not using CSS already you are severely limiting yourself and=20
bloating your pages with font tags needlessly as well as making your=20
documents a lot harder to edit and change.  I dropped font tags in my work=
=20
months ago myself and have been using CSS for over 2 years if not=20
more.  Pages look a lot more consistent that way (except in NN 4 but I=20
dropped support for that piece of shit on personal projects now...) and you=
=20
get much more control over typography in general.  As for the 0 margin=20
thing, you can drop the topmargin and leftmargin right now and use this CSS=
=20
rule " body {margin: 0px;} " in a style sheet which takes care of all=20
versions of IE, Opera and NN 6.  It'll then be your call to decide if it's=
=20
worth it to write invalid code only to please NN 4.

HTH!

St=E9phane Bergeron