RE: Deciding between CF or FrontPage

by Kathy.Wheeler(at)orac.albury.net.au, kathyw(at)home.albury.net.au

 Date:  Thu, 15 Oct 1998 05:43:54 +1000
 To:  "HWG Software" <hwg-software(at)hwg.org>
 Cc:  "Mario Figueiredo" <marfig(at)ebonet.net>
  todo: View Thread, Original
Mario,

>Is there such a thing as a single solution? Can you help me out on deciding?
>Even considering the fact that this is mostly based on likeness and fondness
>of this or that product, others opinions are always a good help on decision
>processes.

Three observations:

1) IF you are considering an all MS route, check their site for Year 2000
product compliency for EVERYTHING you're looking at, including server software.
Last time I looked for an article I was writing, it wasn't a pretty picture.
This *may* have changed ...
Mind you, checking out ANY proposed software purchase for Y2K readiness these
days would be a REALLY GOOD IDEA!!! Just over 14 months to go people, and it's
a deadline that won't budge! It can't be put off!

2) In over 15+ years of working with computers, I have not yet seen one
integrated package that did ANYTHING particularly well, let alone everything.
It seems a simple fact of software that some packages do some things really
well, and other things badly or mediocre. You have to pick and choose your
tools to suit what YOU want. If you expect one tool to do all you will have to
settle for mediocracy (sp?).

3) If you want to integrate your proposed site (or parts thereof) into the
internet (as opposed to your intRAnet) then adherance to standards should
also be a consideration. Get some sample URL's of pages generated with the
software you are considering and pass them through a few validators and see how
they fare. I get the feeling the web may be about to undergo another revolution
in about a year or two, so don't lock yourself into proprietary gimmicks just
cause they look neat today.

Regards,
KathyW.