Re: formatting html code

by Kayla Block <kblock(at)placeware.com>

 Date:  Thu, 25 Mar 1999 11:02:36 -0800 (PST)
 To:  hwg-software(at)mail.hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
>Does anyone know of a clear explanation
>(either in a book or on the web) concerning
>how to format html properly?

I haven't seen this documented anywhere and much of it seems to be
idiosyncratic. But one of my co-workers writes the most beautiful html I've
ever seen so I have learned to use his as a role model. (He also writes the
prettiest Java and Javascript code I've ever seen.)

He uses an indent space of 2 for html. (Other programming languages usually
use 4 but the nature of html makes an indent of 4 unwieldy.) Any container
tags are on their own separate line. The contents between the open and
close tag are on a separate line and also indented by 2 spaces. This way of
writing html usually makes problems become pretty obvious.

I can type in an example better than I can explain it:

        <b>
          Here is some text.
        </b>
      Here is some more text.