Re: Switching to Windows NT

by "Robin S. Socha" <r.socha(at)control-risks.de>

 Date:  04 Aug 1998 07:28:03 +0200
 To:  hwg-software(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
* bzabor19  <bzabor19(at)idt.net> writes:

> I was asked by an associate if there is a downside to switching from
> Win95 to NT, and the only thing I could remember is that it's more
> stable than 95.  Are there any negative trade-offs?

That depends on what you are trying to achieve with that machine. If
you're using it to write letters and do a little maths (aka MS Office),
switching is positively silly because you don't use a self-proclaimed
server OS for that. Or do you? If you're thinking of using the machine
as a server, you should be aware of the fact that NT's technology is
obsolete (ie free U*ices will provide a much higher performance and
stability) and the security risks are so high that you might as well
put an anon-ftp server on the net.

In short: NT will give you somewhat more stability - if you give it
somewhat more hardware. It will give you somewhat more security - if you
spent days learning to understand the millions of blueish boxes with
many, many buttons. And it will give you slightly higher performance -
at least the shiny box it comes in says so.

Check the links section at <http://www.enemy.org/> for some fun
stories about NT and do a websearch for "Unix vs. NT" if you want the
whole truth.

Ever considered buying a Mac?
Robin

--