Re: Macromedia and Allaire to merge

by Moe Rubenzahl <moe(at)maxim-ic.com>

 Date:  Wed, 17 Jan 2001 11:38:42 -0800
 To:  "Captain F.M. O'Lary" <ctfuzzy(at)canopy.net>,
"Jim H" <jim(at)haslam.com>,
hwg-software(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
>>Just opinions. But if I were you, I would go for Dreamweaver.
>
>Oh! Moe!
>
>Why?
>
>_Strictly_ speaking of the ability of the software to turn out real live
>valid HTML, I have to disagree STRONGLY. Respectfully, I know you're not a
>dummy, but strongly! ...

Yes, I should explain; and back-pedal some. The original questioner's
concern was about adopting something Macromedia might drop at some
point and I was thinking that -if- they dropped anything, Dreamweaver
was less likely. But in retrospect, my advice was overly limited.

First: We don't know if either will be dropped and they are
dissimilar enough that I think it is likely both will remain.

Second: They are so different, it would be best to try both and see
what you like. Coders tend to favor HomeSite; designers tend toward
DreamWeaver.

Third: I have seen HomeSite but not used it. So I really should not
have suggested one over the other.

HOWEVER: I have to disagree regarding the "ability of the software to
turn out real live valid HTML." DW code is imperfect but if you avoid
layers and other fancy constructs, DW code is solid and works
consistently in all browsers and platforms back to Netscape Navigator
3 and Microsoft Internet Explorer 4, at least. Even then, we
hand-tweak some of our DW code. (Most annoying habit: It loves to
split FONT tags into valid, but inefficient, redundant tags.)

No WYSIWYG program will please a strict HTML-validator but in our
applications, DW is lots faster than pounding out HTML and its code
works very well.