Re: Javascript Expert Needed

by Jeff Foust <jfoust(at)MIT.EDU>

 Date:  Wed, 13 May 1998 16:00:48 -0400
 To:  hwg-software(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
>To no suprise, I received pretty much the same answers from
>everyone, that you can't have NN3.x read from an outside
>*.js file.

I don't know who's telling you this, but it's wrong.  NN 3.x (at
least on some platforms *) can read external JavaScript files.
The problem mentioned:

>> I have pin pointed the problem to a <script src="objects.js">
>> tag. In NN3.x it opens the objects.js as a text file and does
>> not display the html.

suggests that the MIME type for the JS file may not be set correctly.
Configure your server to set the MIME type for files that end in the
suffix .js to "application/x-javascript"  (I understand that the type
"text/javascript" also works, but I've always used the former.)  Doing
that configuration may be as simple as adding a line to a specific
file, depending on the server used.  But that's a question for another
HWG mailing list...

>Looks like the site will be redone.

Maybe not.

* tested just now using NN 3.0, MacOS. Your mileage may vary.

Jeff Foust
jfoust(at)mit.edu
http://reudi.mit.edu/