Re: prefered platform

by Jeff Foust <jfoust(at)MIT.EDU>

 Date:  Mon, 4 May 1998 20:51:34 -0400
 To:  hwg-software(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
>I have a friend who is looking to purchase a computer for the
>same purpose and is leaning towards a MAC.  I was under the
>impression that a MAC was the prefered platform for major graphic
>design, but for simple web graphics a PC will handle your tasks
>more than adequately.  In other areas, I also worry about the
>variety of hardware/software/support that are available for MACs.

What platform is your friend more comfortable with?  All else being
equal, choose that computer system.  You can do Web design on PCs,
Macs, and Unix machines, among others.  There's plenty of relevant
software for all systems, from basic shareware to heavy-hitting apps
like Photoshop, available, and lots of relevant peripherals like
scanners and digital cameras.

If you plan to do other things with this computer system, your friend
might want to evaluate those needs before making a decision.  For
example, a hard-core gamer might prefer the wider selection of games
available for Windows.  A print designer might prefer the selection
of relevant applications available for the Mac.  (Although there
are still plenty of games for Macs and prepress and other apps for
Windows.)