RE: Database start

by Moe Rubenzahl <moe(at)maxim-ic.com>

 Date:  Wed, 8 Sep 1999 12:03:37 -0700
 To:  "Chris Montgomery" <monty(at)astutia.com>,
<hwg-software(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
>Hi, I'm also learning how to implement databases, can any tell me the
>differences and/or likeness of using Filemaker Vs. ColdFusion?

FileMaker is a database that includes some web serving (middleware)
facilities. Cold Fusion has no database; instead it is middleware
that operates between a database and the web server to construct
pages based on user request and database contents.

To illustrate: Say you have an on-line membership directory. With
FileMaker, you would program forms that display data in pre-defined
format, serving the resulting pages out as web pages. So as an
example, a client could search the data for members located in zip
code 12765, then display those members, all in forms you designed.

With Cold Fusion, the data would reside in a database such as SQL and
the page/form design would be done using Cold Fusion. In Cold Fusion,
you would design the form the client would see, but the data would
come from the separate database.

The effect is the same but Cold Fusion is more capable and probably
offers better performance. The FMPro web serving portion works but is
not very high-powered.

There are also middleware solutions such as BlueWorld's Lasso that do
for FileMaker what Cold Fusion does for SQL.