RE: abs vs. rel font sizes

by "Eileen Centofanti" <ecento(at)worldnet.att.net>

 Date:  Fri, 24 Mar 2000 20:40:38 -0500
 To:  <hwg-style(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
Hi Rick, Carine, and Everyone,
We have discussed this before (I thought recently, but I can't seem to find
any to the messages...). I'm still confused, too, and find the same thing --
that points seem relative while pixels absolute. It confuses me, though,
because I thought one of the measures of quality of a monitor's display was
how many pixels per inch it could display. Since an inch is always an inch,
that would seem to mean that pixel size can vary from monitor to monitor.
Again, though, I cannot bear this out in any experimentation.

Just to add to the confusion -- does anyone remember if it was on this list
that someone said EMs were "best"? what are EMs anyhow? I tried using them,
and had to go to a .xx size to get a font that appeared similar to a 14px.

thanks,
-eileen

Rick Johson wrote