RE: Re[5]: CSS dead?

by "Brian Costner" <brian(at)ecoculture.com>

 Date:  Fri, 21 Dec 2001 09:14:09 -0500
 To:  "HWG Style" <hwg-style(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original

> Brian> In HTML 4.01, <pre> is deprecated. See spec section 9.3.4 at:
>
> Brian> http://www.w3.org/TR/html401/struct/text.html#h-9.3.4
>

> OK - but what do you use to cite something "literally", like code
> examples? I never used the "cite" and "code" tags, though...

As you mention, use

<code>some code</code>

for code, and you have cite, quote, and blockquote for other things.

The advantage over <pre> is that these tags better indicate the structural
content. <pre> is a reference to a style -- a layout device that only
applies to visual browsers. It says: always display this type with the same
spacing. <code> says: this is some computer code. Then the browser or other
device can present the code as it's been instructed (either through internal
defaults or an associated style sheet).

Note that <pre> is deprecated, not obsolete. Browsers still support <pre>,
but authors are encourage to use other tags in conjunction with stylesheets.