RE: Cross browser issue with position:absolute...

by "Sophia Kapterian (E-mail)" <digitek(at)cytanet.com.cy>

 Date:  Mon, 27 Dec 2004 22:55:28 +0200
 To:  <hwg-style(at)hwg.org>,
"'Emily Berk'" <emily(at)armadillosoft.com>
  todo: View Thread, Original
Hi Emily,

One reason the page does not behave as intended is because both browsers are
in quirksmode.
Start always by including the correct DOCTYPE. I'm assuming you'll be coding
in HTML Transitional.
Then check your markup and CSS. These will give you good pointers where you
have errors on your
page.

Insert this as the first line in your page.
 "http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/loose.dtd">

Validators:
CSS: http://jigsaw.w3.org/css-validator/
Markup: http://validator.w3.org

For the text do the following:
1) html, body {margin: 0; padding: 0;}
2) .notBigB remove clip: rect(   );
3) .paleAnchorSubtext change font-size: smallest to font-size: small;
4) .whiteText change width:120; height:101;  to width: 120px; height: 101px;
and remove overflow: clip;

This should solve some of the issues and get you going in the right track.

Since you are new to CSS, it's good to keep in handy a list of CSS
properties:
a) http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-CSS2/propidx.html (the official spec)
b) http://www.blooberry.com/indexdot/css/propindex/all.htm
c) http://www.htmldog.com/reference/cssproperties/