Re: Question of format style

by "Henry John Boleszny" <henryb(at)seaeagle.aunz.com>

 Date:  Wed, 22 Nov 2000 23:04:16 +1000
 To:  <peterb(at)val-tech.com>,
<hwg-style(at)hwg.org>,
<hwg-graphics-request(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
Hi Peter,

This comes up regularly on the Techniques list as well.  The jury, as they
say, is still out to lunch.  I've yet to see any definitive statement as to
"the accepted standard" for anything related to web site design - even the
_implementation_ of W3C standards <grin>!

However, there is one consensus that is almost The Golden Rule - what do
your customers use?  There is little point designing for 1024x768 if a
significant majority of your existing (and potential) customers are forced
to use smaller monitor sizes.

As was recently mentioned in the Techniques list, many people may have
monitors capable of displaying at 1024x768, mine included.  Many people
(myself included) choose to stay at 800x600 resolution - or do not display
their browser at full screen size.  As a result, web sites designed for
larger resolutions tend to have the same problems as those sites designed
for 800x600 when 14" monitors at 640x480 were the norm.

In the first instance, it would be advisable to check your site access logs.
Then go back to the 'experts' and point out the hard facts.  When they don't
listen, ask them to consider a few accessibility issues.  If all else fails,
add a disclaimer to your site in which you reject all responsibility for
other people's decisions <broad grin>!

HTH

Henry John Boleszny
  Business and Web Development Consultant
  ABN: 27 097 668 056

E-mail:            henryb(at)seaeagle.aunz.com
Postal:           PO Box 3667, Burleigh Town QLD 4220, Australia
Phone/Fax:   (07) 4429 2661