Speech Browser? [WAS Re: question about bold tag]

by "Kehvan M. Zydhek" <kehvan(at)zydhek.net>

 Date:  Mon, 18 Sep 2000 03:16:22 -0700
 To:  "Rebecca Jean Pedersen" <rjp(at)mail.tele.dk>,
"Marc Holt" <marc(at)holtww.com>
 Cc:  <hwg-style(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
Okay, I've been following this thread for a bit, and find it interesting,
especially the REAL differences between [STRONG] and [B], as well as between
[EM] and [I] -- it'll take some getting used to to use the non-B and non-I
versions of these tags, as they are just a habit now.

But what Rebecca mentions brings this question to mind: I know that
http://browsers.evolt.org has an enormous collection of browsers and
versions, but perhaps I've not perused it deep enough. Rebecca mentions a
SPEECH BROWSER, as opposed to a VISUAL BROWSER. In that all my senses are
intact and function properly, I always assumed that visually-impaired people
still used the same browsers and other programs non-impaired people use, but
with additional augmentation, such as text-to-speech software that reads
stuff aloud that appears onscreen. Is that not the case? Where can we find
and download a speech-browser? I would think this would be an idea tool to
have in our webdev toolkits, especially if we want to build our sites to be
accessible to all.

Kehvan