Re: Serif fonts

by "Jim Lynch" <jelynch(at)ntinet.com>

 Date:  Sat, 29 Sep 2001 00:55:22 -0400
 To:  <hwg-style(at)mail.hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
One thing to consider, as some have already mentioned, is that you have to
consider what fonts your reader has on their machine. I have a list from
Annabella's HTML help (http://www.geocities.com/annabella.geo) that contians
the results of a survey. The numbers are for the percentage of the users who
had a certain font available.

The top ten were:
1. Times New Roman - 99%
2. Arial - 99%
3. MS Sans Serif - 88%
4. Courier - 82%
5. Impact - 78%
6. Wingdings - 76%
7. Verdana - 75%
8. Comic Sans MS - 73%
9. Arial Black - 72 %
10. Garmond - 67%

Georgia is down at #13 with 58%. I'm not suggesting one font over another,
just that we need to consider the lowest comon denominator, which is "what
to they have." Thats why the W3C strongly suggests always including a
generic font with your declerations.
Sorry I don't have the full path to the list, I printed out an EZ print pop
page and it's not listed on it. You should be able to find the rest of the
list from the addy above.

hth,
Jim Lynch
http://www.optp.org