Re: css/special character conflict in ie

by "Kehvan M. Zydhek" <kehvan(at)zydhek.net>

 Date:  Mon, 27 Mar 2000 13:42:02 -0800
 To:  <hwg-style(at)mail.hwg.org>,
"Mike Cunningham" <mike(at)imagebusiness.com>
  todo: View Thread, Original
Mike,

I noticed you tried Donna's suggestion of &#8212; -- in MSIE 5.01, it still
shows the | character, though. I would suggest trying &mdash; instead. This,
in tests, worked properly. The smaller dash would be &ndash;. The only
drawback is that HomeSite reports, "Displays on Unicode/DBC5 enabled
browsers only!" If that's going to be a problem, your only other
alternatives would be two hyphens, which has been the norm for years, or a
small .GIF loaded in place of the em-dash to graphically represent what you
want.

Hmmm, here's something interesting... I just tried again, using the text
only from your site. ALL of the codes worked: &#151;, &#8212; &mdash;,
&ndash;.... all showed the proper characters. The difference, of course, is
that I loaded the page WITHOUT your stylesheet, so it displayed in the
browser default character set. I can't download your stylesheet to examine
it's code, but I suspect that there might be something in it that's causing
the problem.... perhaps you have a type of regional codeset in there...

I just tried yet again, this time loading your stylesheet from the web, and
the problem returned. I substituted one of my stylesheets, and the problem
went away. So now I'm convinced it's in your stylesheet. If you want, you
could email me (privately) your stylesheet, and I'll look at it and see what
might be the problem.

Good luck,
Kehvan M. Zydhek
kehvan(at)zydhek.net