Re: table font not displaying in NN 4.6

by "Ryan Fischer" <fischer(at)email.unc.edu>

 Date:  Tue, 21 Sep 1999 22:03:27 -0700
 To:  <ecento(at)worldnet.att.net>,
<hwg-style(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
You wrote:
> i am a very novice CSS user. I have a small document which consists of
> paragraphs,
> some UL/LIs, and a table. i cannot get the font style, size, weight to
apply
> to the table in NN 4.6.

First rule when working with CSS: NN4 is an extraordinarily crappy
browser that can't handle it -- especially when it comes to inheritance,
and other basic stuff from CSS1.  (IMO, you're better off not even
bothering with CSS in Netscape -- just do a little browser detection to
filter it out.)  So basically, you have to tell NN4 everything.  I'll
explain below...

> IE5 seems fine. in my stylesheet, i am using
>
>  HEAD {
> display: none;
> }

Lose this.  It's not necessary.  (Unless there's some content in the
HEAD which you would like to hide, but I don't have any idea what that
would be.)

> BODY{
>      display: block;

Why do you have this here?  Don't think it's necessary.

>      background-color: white;
>      font-family: Verdana;
>      font-size: 12pt;
>      font-weight: bold;
>      color: black;
> }
>
> H3{
> text-align: center;
> color: red;
> }
>
> p {
>      display:block;

This is OK, but P is block by default (but you probably knew that!  ;-)

>      font-size:16pt;
>      color: navy;
> }
>

> table {
> text-indent: 0.29in;
>      background-color: white;
>      font-family: Verdana;
>      font-size: 12pt;
>      font-weight: bold;
>      color: black;
> }

Here's the problem.  Netscape sees "TABLE", so it only assumes "TABLE"
when it's applying the style.  You've got to list all the elements you
want this style to apply to like this:

TABLE, TR, TD, TH, P { /* ... */ }
/* I'm not sure if TABLE and TR are necessary in this case -- they
   don't (shouldn't) directly contain any content. */

> i find for the table that i have to repeat the font-weight property
for it
> to display in bold in IE5. i have tried repeating all of the font
properties
> for the table to no avail, the table continues to display in my
default font
> in NN 4.6

You could probably combine BODY and TABLE since they are similar.  HTH!
;-)

--
 -Ryan Fischer <fischer(at)email.unc.edu> ICQ UIN - 595003