Re: Printing Problem w/ NN - Getting NN confused

by "Mark Pinkston" <markpinkston(at)proaxis.com>

 Date:  Wed, 29 Sep 1999 08:18:10 -0700
 To:  <hwg-style(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
Liz wrote:
>Knowing that NN is very particular about
>the HTML coding,,,,,,,,,,,,, I noticed that there is no /HTML at the end of
the
>page code. Perhaps this is confusing NN?

Confusing NN is not hard to do. Just write valid code :)

Actually NN is TOO "particular about the HTML coding." In order for NN to
correctly render certain code, tags that should be optional, must be
included. Here's an example I didn't realize until it was reported to me by
a user:

<P style="font-size: 150%">
Some text here
<P style="font-size: 150%">
Some text here
<P style="font-size: 150%">
Some text here

Communicator didn't realize the </P> is optional and nested the paragraphs.
Each section of text grew in size by 50% over the size of the previous
paragraph. Adding the </P> tags solved NN's confusion. I now close every
tag, even list items and options. I just don't want to take a chance that NN
will get confused again.

Let's all pray that they get it right with NN5. If they do, I promise to be
as rabid a NN fan as I am now an IE fan.

HTH,
Mark
My e-mail - mailto:markpinkston(at)proaxis.com
My Web site - http://www.proaxis.com/~markpinkston/
Member of the HTML Writers Guild - http://www.hwg.org/
Support Web Standards NOW! - http://www.webstandards.org/
Design sites for accessibility - http://www.w3.org/WAI/