Re: limiting width of div (or other container) to width of text

by Gerhard Schoening <g.sch(at)onlinehome.de>

 Date:  Thu, 23 Jan 2003 08:02:50 +0100
 To:  Ann Ezzell <amcbainezzell(at)alum.mit.edu>
 Cc:  hwg-style(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
Hi Ann,

On Thursday, January 23, 2003 at 07:11 you wrote:

> I want to put a border around the top, right, and bottom
> of the first H1 tag on a page, and have the border offset
> by some distance.

> Here's what I'm doing right now, and it doesn't work:

> In the HTML:

> In the CSS:
> #headerBoxTraining {
> border-top: 2px solid #cccccc;
> border-bottom: 2px solid #cccccc;
> border-right: 2px solid #cccccc;
> padding: 10px 5px 10px 0px;
> margin-top: 10px;
> }

> #headerBoxTraining H1 {
> margin-top: 0px;  /* because my normal H1 tag has a top margin */
> }

What you want is styling the H1, not the containing DIV. You
might try

In the HTML:

In the CSS:
#headerBoxTraining {
margin-top: 10px;
}

#headerBoxTraining H1 {
border-top: 2px solid #cccccc;
border-bottom: 2px solid #cccccc;
border-right: 2px solid #cccccc;
padding: 10px 5px 10px 0px;
margin-top: 0px;  /* because my normal H1 tag has a top margin */
}

Regards,
Gerhard

Gerhard Schoening, Web Freelancer

Development of Bilingual Accessible Websites
http://www.schoening-online.com

Community & Portal Websites in PHP & MySQL
http://www.cp-web.com