Re: list-style-image

by "Sean Healy" <jalopeura(at)hotmail.com>

 Date:  Mon, 22 Nov 1999 09:37:40 AKST
 To:  allred(at)its.state.ms.us,
hwg-style(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
>When I try to use an image, which I specify in an external style >sheet
>with "list-style-image ", this image is used on every level. >Does anyone
>know of a way to specify in a style sheet the use of >different images at
>each level of a <UL>?

CSS allows you to specify style for elements when they are within other
elements.  Try something like this:

UL LI   { list-style-image: first-level-image.gif }
UL UL LI   { list-style-image: second-level-image.gif }
UL UL UL LI   { list-style-image: third-level-image.gif }
UL UL UL UL LI   { list-style-image: fourth-level-image.gif }

This way, when you have a <UL> within another <UL> (or within multiple
levels of <UL>), a different image applies.  Since CSS gives priority to
statements that come later, they need to go in ascending order of level, as
I have put them here.

I haven't tested this-let me know if it works.