Re: CSS image problem

by Jim <webmaster(at)thedigitalpage.com>

 Date:  Tue, 19 Oct 1999 13:47:40 -0700
 To:  hwg-style(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
At 06:11 AM 10/19/99 , Tenley Shewmake tickled the electrons and they
aligned themselves to form these words:

>Hi Jim,
>
>I'm no guru, and have no clue about that background showing through - I
>would suspect the 5% padding on DIV.main (at least that is what I would
>try first. I'm looking forward to the gurus' answer too!

Okay, thanks, I'll give that a shot.

>However, your stylesheet sparked a question about brevity. You have code
>like:

>conversions</a></span>
>[snip bunch of my boring code]
>
>Where I would have done something like:

>     A:link.link {
>     text-decoration: none;
>     color: #0000AA;
>     font-size: 10pt;
>     font-family: Arial, Helvetica;
>         }
>
>Is it 6 of one and half dozen of the other?

Your example is beyond a  doubt cleaner. I put this together in about two
hours of playing around. The style sheet used by this page is one modified
from another page that has 5 different link styles & they got added one at
a time, so that's how it came out. I need to go clean it up.

This also takes advantage of the tag color coding in HomeSite. I'm still at
the "amazed it works at all" stage of CSS usage and when I get more
comfortable with it I won't feel the need to "see" the colors for the code.
I'm sure my CSS will get more compact over time.

Thanks for the info though, always nice to see a "better way" to do it.

p.s.- It seems that IE and NS on a Mac renders the page fine, it just seems
to be IE 4.X on Windows that causes the problem.... [shrug]

Jim Parsons
webmaster(at)thedigitalpage.com
phone: (509) 521-5424
fax: (6-3) 288-0200