Re: Importing a style sheet if media type is not "handheld"

by Bjoern Hoehrmann <derhoermi(at)gmx.net>

 Date:  Thu, 05 Feb 2004 08:10:59 +0100
 To:  Rajasekaran Deepak <deepakr(at)students.iiit.net>
 Cc:  hwg-style(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
* Rajasekaran Deepak wrote:
>I want to import a style sheet only if the media type is not "handheld".
>It is possible to list the remaining media types in the "media" attribute of
>link rel="stylesheet", but this will break when new media types are
>introduced. Is it possible to specify, say media="not handheld", in
>link rel="stylesheet"?

You either explicitly list all other media or indeed use "not handheld"
which would be a CSS Level 3 Media Query (W3C Candidate Recommendation),
see <http://www.w3.org/TR/css3-mediaqueries>, though the user agent
would need to support Media Queries already. You can also give a set of
rules and override them later for @media handheld, though that could be
more difficult.