Re: Question of format style

by Charles A Upsdell <cupsdell(at)upsdell.com>

 Date:  Tue, 21 Nov 2000 13:34:05 -0500
 To:  hwg-style(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
Why set a default size?  Why not simply accept the sizes your visitors are
using?  E.g., if you put the page within a table, make the width 100%,
which will automatically size it to the user's resolution.

I would comment similarly re the font size:  accept your visitors' defaults
... or perhaps 95% of the default for those using Windows.

At 12:22 PM 11/21/00, you wrote:
>Greetings:
>
>We are redoing our site and need your professional
>opinion(s) on what should be the default size of
>a modern web page.  Some in our company say it should be
>800x600 and some say 1024x768.  Each
>say it's "the accepted standard".  Neither are members (as I
>am) of the HTML Writer's Guild, the body
>that I think know the most about the subject.
>
>So should we make our page 800x600 or 1024x768?
>
>Some background:  Our site is www.val-tech.com.  We sell
>adhesive products.  We provide
>minimal e-commerce because we prefer to direct our customers
>to retail outlets near to them to purchase our
>product.
>
>This is not sent to the critique list, but criticisms are
>welcom (please limit your criticisms to under 25,000 words
>:).
>
>Thanks,
>
>Peter Bouvier, CEO
>Valiant Technologies, Inc.

-
Chuck Upsdell
Email:     cupsdell(at)istar.ca or cupsdell(at)torfree.net
Website:   http://home.istar.ca/~cupsdell/