Re: Internet Explorer & GIFs

by Steve Bonisteel <steveb(at)typecast.com>

 Date:  Thu, 27 Sep 2001 07:46:18 -0400
 To:  "Lois Wakeman" <lois(at)lois.co.uk>
 Cc:  hwg-style-digest(at)mail.hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
At 11:41 AM 9/27/2001 +0100, you wrote:

>The exact same page viewed by a file url shows broken images, but
>using http
>it is fine. I have tried everything that experts suggested in the
>server and
>registry configuration, and it is insoluble - so I live with it. But
>it's a

This is surely because the *relative" locations of the images do not
match when viewed via the Web server and by file.

Assuming your Web root is on "C:" your images may be in a directory
something *like*:

C:\Inetpub\webpub\images

If your IMG tag URL looks like this:

  ... SRC="/images/myimage.gif" ...

the link will only work via the Web server. Browsed as a file, the
above links translates as:

C:\images\myimage.gif

If you want to browse by both file and the server you must use only
URLs that are relative to the physical directory structure.

In the example above, if the HTML file were in "webpub," the URL
would be:

... SRC="images/myimage.gif" ...  (with no leading "/")

If your HTML file is

  C:\Inetpub\webpub\contacts\corp.html

and your images are in

C:\Inetpub\webpub\images

The URL would be like: ... SRC="../images/corpimage.gif"   (with a
leading "../")

SRB

--
Steve Bonisteel