Re: NN 4.x resize, and <HR>

by "Kevin W. Bishop" <bishopk(at)rpi.edu>

 Date:  Fri, 01 Feb 2002 16:27:08 -0500
 To:  "Hwg Style" <hwg-style(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original

>1) Is there a (non-buggy) way to apply styles to a <HR > so that it will be
>invisible in CSS reading browsers, but show up elsewhere?  I've tried
>wrapping it in <div > tags, but it doesn't seem to help.

How about this?

hr { display: none; }

or, if you want the hard rule to take up space in the document layout, but
remain invisible, perhaps the following would work?  (unsure)

hr { visibility: hidden; }

There might be other tricks with the z-index property you could try as well.

>2) I found a mention of a fix to the re-size problem in NN, but it points to
>an extension for Dreamweaver.  I code by hand, so I'm trying to find a
>solution I can use.  I'd guess I could use JavaScript to re-load the CSS
>stylesheet onReload - does that sound right?  Anybody have a solution for
>this?

<.script language="JavaScript" type="text/javascript">
<!--
//reloads the window if Nav4 resized
function MM_reloadPage(init) {
   if (init==true) with (navigator) {
   if ((appName=="Netscape")&&(parseInt(appVersion)==4)) {
     document.MM_pgW=innerWidth; document.MM_pgH=innerHeight;
onresize=MM_reloadPage;
     }
   }
   else if (innerWidth!=document.MM_pgW || innerHeight!=document.MM_pgH)
location.reload();
}
MM_reloadPage(true);
// -->
</script>

That's the code that Dreamweaver generates.  The issue as I understand it
is not about reloading the CSS file, but the HTML file.  When the window in
NN4.x is resized, it breaks the layout and must be reloaded to display
properly (if you're lucky, that is).

>3) AOL - one site indicated none of the AOL browsers were CSS compliant (but
>it was old.)  No other site has mentioned them at all.  Many potential
>student's parents are probably on AOL - any tips or information?

I believve AOL's latest browser is based on IE.  Which version?  I'm not
positive, but I'd guess it's at least 4 if not already 5.x

Hope this helps!
-kb