Re: DTD choice

by Andrew McFarland <aamcf(at)aamcf.co.uk>

 Date:  Thu, 14 Feb 2002 21:13:42 +0000
 To:  <hwg-style(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
At 09:55 14/02/02 -0700, Ann Ezzell wrote:
>Are there recommendations for DTD(s) to use with style sheets? I'm
>discovering that I get different results depending on what DTD I use.

The glib answer is "Use the appropriate one" :-)

I'll elaborate a bit. Unless you are using Framesets, and assuming you have
decided to use either XHTML 1.0 or HTML 4.01, there are three options you
can use:

         The strict DTD

         The transitional DTD

         No DTD

Some browsers render otherwise identical pages differently depending on
DOCTYPE. Therefore, you should use the same DOCTYPE throughout the site to
help with consistency.

If you can do all your coding with the Strict DOCTYPE, use it. Strict
produces the leanest code, and is easiest to maintain. If you need to use a
feature from the transitional DOCTYPE, use it, and make sure you change the
DOCTYPE from strict to transitional.

If the page needs invalid code omit the DOCTYPE altogether - but remember
to omit it from all pages on the site.

Andrew

--
http://aamcf.co.uk/