Re: URL difficulty, Netscape 4.75

by "Kevin W. Bishop" <bishopk(at)rpi.edu>

 Date:  Tue, 04 Jun 2002 13:00:03 -0400
 To:  "Hwg Style" <hwg-style(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
At 08:29 AM 6/4/2002 -0700, Larry Coats wrote:
>Unfortunately, N4 makes the URL relative to the HTML page instead of to
>the stylesheet (what WERE they thinking!!?!).

Actually, I think they were following W3C recommendations:

http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/struct/links.html#h-12.1.2
http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/present/styles.html#style-external

***http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/struct/links.html#adef-rel

Let me try this as a story problem:

If you were a browser, and you asked for HTML-FileA using an address given
to you by a link in another html file or a bookmark or the fingers of your
user, and then HTML-FileA said use CSSa for presentational effects, and the
href calling for CSSa used a relative address to indicate where to find
CSSa -- what's your point of reference for that relativity?

:)

I could be wrong.  I's just trying it on fer size.

-kb