Re: Misalignment of bullits in Netscape 4.7 with CSS

by Chris Montgomery <lists(at)airtightweb.com>

 Date:  Tue, 10 Sep 2002 22:04:53 -0500
 To:  hwg-style(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
Howdy Mark,

Tuesday, September 10, 2002, 6:28:57 PM, Mark Hughes wrote:

MH> Any idea how to get Netscape 4.7 to display list bullits in the correct
MH> vertical alignment?  ...

MH> This misbehaviour on the part of Netscape only occurs when style sheets are
MH> in use.

This is because Netscape 4.x doesn't support the list-style-position
property you have defined in your li.yellowdot class. Also, it's
support of padding-left and padding-top properties in the div.indented
class is "buggy." See http://www.webreview.com/style/ and
http://www.webreview.com/style/css1/charts/mastergrid.shtml for more
info.

MH> Anyone know how to work around it?

You might want to consider using two different style sheets, one for
more standards-compliant browsers, and another more "vanilla" one for
Netscape 4. Use the @import method of style sheet application for the
more compliant browsers and the <link> method for Netscape 4.

Something that is more annoying, in my opinion, is that words in your
<h1> and <h2> tags are overwriting each other (viewed at 800x600),
rather than wrap to the next line. This is happening when viewed in
Mozilla 1.1, IE 5.5, Opera 6.03, and Netscape 4.79 on Win2k. If it
were me, I'd be more concerned about that than the way the bullets
look in Netscape 4.7.

Chris Montgomery        monty @ airtightweb.com

--
Airtight Web Services   http://www.airtightweb.com
Web Development, Web Project Management, Software Sales