Re: limiting width of div (or other container) to width of text

by John Turpin <justified_type(at)mac.com>

 Date:  Thu, 23 Jan 2003 09:07:10 -0600
 To:  <hwg-style(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
At 11:11 PM -0700 1/22/03, Ann Ezzell wrote:
>I want to put a border around the top, right, and bottom of the first H1 tag
>on a page, and have the border offset by some distance.

I believe the problem is that you are expecting a block element to
behave like an inline element. H1 and DIV are block elements, and
extend from the left to the right of the container. If you did
something like this:

[h1][span id="headerBoxTraining"]Header 1[/span][/h1]

you might get what you want, since SPAN is inline.

--
John Turpin
justified_type(at)mac.com