Re[2]: CSS dead?

by Kynn Bartlett <kynn(at)idyllmtn.com>

 Date:  Thu, 20 Dec 2001 00:23:01 -0800
 To:  Gerhard Schoening <g.sch(at)onlinehome.de>
 Cc:  Norman Bunn <norman.bunn(at)craftedsolutions.com>, Mikael =?iso-8859-1?Q?Bystr=F6m?= <sunergy(at)mac.com>, "Hwg style" <hwg-style(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
At 8:49 AM +0100 12/20/01, Gerhard Schoening wrote:
>Now I have to remove the paragraph tags sometimes, just to make the
>look not TOO different in some "critical" parts of a page. Also, I
>have to play around much too long to find out where to place more or
>less line breaks, to find a common denominator for the rest of the
>page where I still try to use paragraphs within table cells...

It's really hard to say -- it falls into one of those quasi-standard
areas.  The good news is the following:

(1) You can safely remove the <p> tags, by current thinking -- the
     need to account for old screenreaders which read lines across
     the page rather than cell by cell is mostly gone, and there are
     solutions (such as proxy servers) which can solve the problem
     for users of old assistive technology.

(2) You could use CSS to remove the extra lines from NN 6, maybe.
     If NN6 considers <p> to have "margin" (which I believe, sans
     reference, is correct), try removing the margins with
     something like:

     TD > P { margin-top: 0px; margin-bottom: 0px; }

I haven't tested this, mainly because I haven't been able to duplicate
your effect of "extra line breaks" in NN6...

--Kynn

--
Kynn Bartlett <kynn(at)idyllmtn.com>                 http://kynn.com