RE: Another Beginner Stylesheet Question

by Kynn Bartlett <kynn(at)idyllmtn.com>

 Date:  Sun, 23 Dec 2001 17:18:43 -0800
 To:  <monty(at)astutia.com>,
<hwg-style(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
At 9:19 AM -0600 12/22/01, Chris Montgomery wrote:
>Try this:
>http://www.simplythebest.net/info/colornames.html
>
>Be mindful of the caveat at the top of the page: "Color names are not
>supported by the W3C standards. If you want to write correct HTML you should
>use the hexidecimal values."

That's not exactly true.  The W3C spec defines a short list of
color names -- those should be "safe" to use.  Anything else, I
would advise against, because many browsers will try to interpret
them as hexadecimal numbers if they don't know what the name is.

The colors you can use by name are: aqua, black, blue, fuchsia,
gray, green, lime, maroon, navy, olive, purple, red, silver, teal,
white, and yellow.

You theoretically should be able to use system color keywords
as well, but there are browser support issues and I would advise
against it unless you are serving up specific style sheets to
specific browsers.  Don't give system color keywords to Netscape 4.

--Kynn

--
Kynn Bartlett <kynn(at)idyllmtn.com>                 http://kynn.com