Re: Link Colors

by Kynn Bartlett <kynn(at)idyllmtn.com>

 Date:  Sat, 9 Feb 2002 08:31:48 -0800
 To:  Andrew McFarland <aamcf(at)aamcf.co.uk>,
hwg-style(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
At 2:54 AM +0000 2/9/02, Andrew McFarland wrote:
>Wouldn't div.nav a:link { color: red} be slightly more efficient?
>That way the browser only has to inspect ancestor DIVs to find if
>any are from the specified class, rather than all ancestor elements.

Probably; actually, since you'll have probably one (primary) navigation
bar and one (primary) content section, it makes even more sense to use
an id selector, like:

      div#nav a:link { color: red; }

>I'm a big fan of using contextual selectors and DIV elements in this
>way. It seems much more logical to me than putting classes into each
>element - and you can use the DIVs for formatting later on if you
>want to - see http://aamcf.co.uk/temp/div

Yeah, I agree mainly, especially since it saves typing. ;)

--Kynn

--

Kynn Bartlett <kynn(at)idyllmtn.com>                 http://kynn.com
Next Book: Teach Yourself CSS in 24       http://cssin24hours.com