Re: Width, Divs, Table, etc.

by Kynn Bartlett <kynn(at)idyllmtn.com>

 Date:  Fri, 1 Feb 2002 08:53:01 -0800
 To:  "Scott T. Norman" <mokele(at)mac.com>,
HWG CSS <hwg-style(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
At 12:36 AM -0800 2/1/02, Scott T. Norman wrote:
>I wanted to set the page width to 770 px which I set in the body tag, this
>works fine it IE5.1 Mac, NS6.2 Mac & Win, and IE6 Win, but not IE5.5 Win.
>Had to put a div with with width enclosing the other div tags. Is there a
>reason for this?

Bug in IE 5.5's box model. You found the right workaround.

>What are baseline browers people are coding for?

It depends on what I'm doing and why; my personal preference is to code
for CSS-compliant browsers, so IE 5 (Mac), Netscape 6, Opera 5 or 6,
Internet Explorer 5.5 or 6, and Mozilla, plus Lynx.

That's if I'm doing something for my own use, and I don't care if it
falls apart on crappy browsers.

If I were developing someone else's web site, then I'd undoubtedly
shoot for a lower target, including Netscape 4. The CSS book I'm writing
assumes that you are aiming for a higher target but gives advice and
workarounds for Netscape 4 that say "if you want to support Netscape
4..."

>I looked at
>page briefly in NS 4.75 Mac, was ok but missing background for some reason
>and I don't think table was centering either. Any thoughts?

Well the answer is that Netscape 4 sucks. ;)  Coding CSS for Netscape
4 is such a nightmare! Sorry that I don't have better news for you. I
advise all my friends who use Netscape 4 to either upgrade to a non-
broken browser, or turn off CSS (and thus Javascript).

--Kynn

--
Kynn Bartlett <kynn(at)idyllmtn.com>                 http://kynn.com
Forthcoming: Teach Yourself CSS in 24 Hours