Re: display question

by Jens Brueckmann <lists(at)j-a-b.net>

 Date:  Wed, 14 Jan 2004 03:39:33 +0100
 To:  Web Alchemy Concepts <sales(at)webalchemy.on.ca>,
"hwg-style(at)hwg.org" <hwg-style(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
Hi Jeff,

On Tue, 13 Jan 2004 20:34:09 -0500, Web Alchemy Concepts
<sales(at)webalchemy.on.ca> wrote:

> I know this isn't a style question exactly but has anyone had a work
> around
> Zone Alarm's ad blocking? The problem is that these blocked images are
> actually part of my client's web site header. I thought it was targeting
> large single images and I sliced and diced them to be smaller
> horizontally
> but they still get blocked. It doesn't touch the tiny longer ones right
> underneath the header graphic but I don't want to spend all day slicing
> the
> images into crumb sized chunks. Strangely, on some other sites it doesn't
> touch them at all- even if its all one large graphic so I'm rather
> perplexed. Any input would be appreciated.

actually I have not the faintest idea how Zone Alarm's ad blocking works.
I thought it filters by IPs or domain names but then again  my browser
software lets me block certain sized images so presumably Zone Alarm does
something comparable. As banners usually have pseudo-standardized sizes
the software might look out for these numbers in the file headers sent
 from a server.

Here is a list of those image sizes, which usually occur in banners, that
you might want to avoid:

	 width=468px
	 width=280px
	 width=250px
	 width=240px
	 width=234px
	 width=180px
	 width=160px
	 width=125px
	 width=120px
	 width=88px

	 height=600px
	 height=400px
	 height=336px
	 height=300px
	 height=250px
	 height=150px
	 height=125px
	 height=120px
	 height=90px
	 height=60px
	 height=31px

This is just a guess but as you requested  _any_  input I thought I might
as well pin down my initial thoughts :-)

Cheers,

jens

--
Jens Brueckmann