Re: Cross browser issue with position:absolute...

by "AM Thomas" <am(at)virtueofthesmall.com>

 Date:  Mon, 27 Dec 2004 21:12:11 -0500
 To:  hwg-style(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
Usually you're OK sticking with basics - positive margins/padding,
line-spacing, etc. - but even with that, sometimes it doesn't work
everywhere.  IE for Mac can be especially painful, in my experience.  AOL
is another thing, especially on Mac, and I've had a client who used that
browser almost exclusively.  Oh, that was a time.

It sounds like your client wants something that may not be do-able in a
cross-browser world.  Some designers would just give up and make a gif of
whatever that chunk of text is, but that has its own problems -- search
engines won't like it, etc.

You might try finding something that looks like what you're trying to
achieve (or have the client find it) and use that code, but be sure to
check it in different browsers (and/or have the client do so if they have
time).

OTOH, you're probably working on that page even as we type, so that might
account for some of the weirdness.  Good luck!  Welcome to ... purgatory.

- AM

--
Virtue of the Small / (919) 929-8687