Re: R: R: R: Porting pages from HTML to CSS.

by Jeff Kane <jeffkane(at)pobox.com>

 Date:  Mon, 13 Mar 2000 12:04:39 -0500
 To:  Riboni Ugo <Ugo(at)fiditalia.it>,
"Hwg-Style Mailing List (E-mail)" <hwg-style(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original

>The big problem in my situation is that i am working for a customer who
>wants pages that are (i am quoting his exact  words) "CSS only" so that he
>can "change the look of the site by changing just a style sheet".
>In the meantime he wants the look of the site to "reflect exactly the
>current look obtained using only HTML".
>You see, it's not an easy situation for me, it's not easy to deal with such
>a customer, don't you think ?
>I guess i will have to tell him that what he wants to do is not technically
>possible, so he will stop bothering me.
>
>Thanx for the help, anyway
>Ugo Riboni

Ugo,

I have two observations:

(1) When a customer says he wants such-and-such, find out what the
intent is, what she wishes to accomplish. CSS, HTML, etc., are the
means, not the ends. The customer may talk about the means, but the
real interest is the final product. When you have a clear picture of
what the customer wants to achieve, then you can figure out what
can/cannot be done with the available technology.

(2) What you describe doesn't sound unreasonable, if my
interpretation is correct. The customer wants you to take the
"current" site, presumably written in HTML, and incorporate CSS. The
style sheet is to be used to control the appearance, but not to
change the appearance at this time. Later, if the customer wants to
make (certain) site-wide changes, it can be done by altering the
style sheet.

--Jeff