RE: abs vs. rel font sizes

by Jeff Kane <jeffkane(at)pobox.com>

 Date:  Sun, 26 Mar 2000 17:50:59 -0500
 To:  ecento(at)worldnet.att.net,
hwg-style(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
>yes, i remember that, too, but i'm still confused. i thought the beauty of
>using style sheets was supposed to be that users could override them with
>their own defaults, anyhow. so, even if i specify, say, a 14px font,
>couldn't someone with a visual deficit just set their browser to override
>stylesheets? would that mean they lose everything, though, like color and
>margins? is that why it's best to use relative font sizes?

The "beauty of style sheets" is (1) greater capability for the site
designer to specify page layout, and (2) capability of applying a
style to many pages, or even the whole site, with code that needs
only be written in one place, the style sheet.

The issue of who has the final say on how a page is
displayed--whether it's the viewer or the site designer--is another
matter. The site designer can specify various attributes, such as
font choice and size, either using plain old HTML or using CSS. The
viewer can also set some specifications, by setting her browser's
preferences. Exactly what can be set, and who has the final say,
depends on the browser.

I suggest that you carefully examine the preference settings in both
Internet Explorer and in Netscape, especially those pertaining to
font choice and size. (Netscape: Edit/Preferences/Appearance/Fonts.
IE: Edit/Preferences/Browser Display and
Edit/Preferences/Language/Fonts.) Change the preferences and see what
happens. Other preferences include background colors and how links
are displayed.

Another consideration: even though the viewer maintains some control
of the display by setting preferences, I suspect that the vast
majority of viewers never change these preferences from their default
settings.

Jeff