Re: Wanted: User Style Sheets

by Bjoern Hoehrmann <derhoermi(at)gmx.net>

 Date:  Mon, 15 Jul 2002 00:29:58 +0200
 To:  Kynn Bartlett <kynn(at)idyllmtn.com>
 Cc:  hwg-style(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
* Kynn Bartlett wrote:
>I'm working on a project to collect and distribute pre-defined
>user style sheets for specific needs -- for example, one might be
>a style sheet designed for users with low vision, while another
>might be useful at design time because it highlights img tags
>which lack alt attributes.
>
>The idea is to create a repository of user style sheets so that
>Web users can simply download and install them without having
>to learn CSS.  If you think you can help with this project, please
>send me email and I'll let you know what I've got so far, and what
>I need.

I once thought of a limited CSS Editor in order to make it easy to
create custom style sheets. For example, a user might be annoyed of
colored scroll bars in Internet Explorer, an application could provide
some option

  [_] Always use default scrollbar colors

and insert something like

  * {
    scrollbar-arrow-color:       buttonText      !important;
    scrollbar-base-color:        scrollBar       !important;
    scrollbar-dark-shadow-color: threeDShadow    !important;
    scrollbar-face-color:        threeDFace      !important;
    scrollbar-highlight-color:   threeDHighlight !important;
    scrollbar-shadow-color:      threeDShadow    !important; /*
    scrollbar-3d-light-color:    ?               !important;  */
  }

into the user style sheet. I am not sure if users would use such
repository.