Re: Pseudo-elements

by "Eric A. Meyer" <eam3(at)po.cwru.edu>

 Date:  Thu, 4 Nov 1999 11:43:58 -0500
 To:  hwg-style(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
>I'm trying to use a pseudo-element to produce a drop cap.
>
>>From http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-CSS1-961217#the-first-letter-pseudo-element,
>I got the following code for the CSS file.
>
>P.initial  { font-size: 12pt; line-height: 12pt }
>P.initial:first-letter { font-size: 200%; float: left }
>
>and
>
>&lt;P class="initial"&gt;
>
>for the HTML.
>
>This won't work in either NN 4.6 or IE 4.0. Can anyone see an error, or
>help me figure out why?

   Because Netscape doesn't support :first-letter any more the MSIE does.
Check out the information here:

   http://www.webreview.com/pub/guides/style/mastergrid.html

If you want to see first-letter effects in action, you could download the
latest Gecko build from http://developer.netscape.com/ [1], but be warned
that it's alpha software and could very well eat your hard drive, explode
your monitor, and infect your motherboard with the Good Times virus.

[1] Specifically, http://developer.netscape.com/software/communicator/ngl/

--
Eric A. Meyer  -  eam3(at)po.cwru.edu  -  http://www.cwru.edu/home/eam3.html
 Editor, Style Sheets Reference Guide  http://style.webreview.com/