Re: Why, oh why, won't the font change size?

by "Eric A. Meyer" <eric(at)meyerweb.com>

 Date:  Thu, 26 Oct 2000 09:50:39 -0400
 To:  <hwg-style(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
>I have some pages I am working on at:
>
>http://www.craftedsolutions.com/northcon/ [corrected URL]
>
>I have the following on each page in the <HEAD>

>        body {font: 9px verdana,arial,helvetica,san serif}
>
>For some reason, the font style takes, but the size does not.  Have also
>tried "small" & "pt" to no avail.

    Given that your page uses a table for layout, you might be able to
fix the problem like this:

    body, td, th {font: 9px Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;}

Many browsers have a problem with inheritance into tables for various
reasons.  You didn't say which browser (nor which OS) you use, but
the above technique has been found to overcome most problems
associated with tables and inheritance, which is most likely the
problem you're having.
    I also corrected your 'san serif' to 'sans-serif', since the
latter is a recognized keyword and the former is not.  Also, it can
sometimes help to use the same case as the installed font name--
although this usually isn't an issue, it can lead to problems.
    You may want to read the essays at <URL:http://style.metrius.com/>
for future reference.

--
Eric A. Meyer (eric(at)meyerweb.com)    http://www.meyerweb.com/eric/