Re: Question of format style

by Ellen Guttadauro <elguttadauro(at)ucdavis.edu>

 Date:  Tue, 21 Nov 2000 12:29:37 -0800
 To:  hwg-style(at)hwg.org
 Cc:  peterb(at)val-tech.com
  todo: View Thread, Original
Do you have access to the "server stats" for your site?  Some server
stats will collect monitor resolution along with platform, browser
version, etc.  You could see what res. monitors are being used by
most of your audience.

At the University where I work, the argument of "standard" monitor
size is between 640x480 and 800x600.   To get around the problem, I
use tables with a fixed left column and a flexible right column.
That  allows the user to stretch or shrink the web page without
cutting off content.

In any event, remember that the monitor pixel dimension doesn't
replicate the usable area for a web page.  Browser interfaces can use
up a lot of real estate on the screen, and vary widely too.  For
example, when designing for a 640x480 monitor,  I consider 605x400 as
the usable web page area.  The rest is used by the browsers' bars,
menus, etc.

View whatever you design on as many monitor settings as you can find,
at early stages of the design.  Even with Macs!  :)

Ellen Guttadauro
Web designer
UC Davis