RE: color, background color

by "Eric A. Meyer" <eric(at)meyerweb.com>

 Date:  Fri, 10 Nov 2000 11:21:57 -0500
 To:  <hwg-style(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
At 8:02 -0500 11/10/00, Dale Hobart wrote:

>You don't have to define a background color but you should. If you have
>defined one in your body tag or with the body element of your style sheet
>then you are fine. The validator has just not taken that into account.

    Actually, you're only mostly fine.  If you set a background color
on your BODY element, and the user overrides that (which the user can
do, and there's no way to stop it) without overriding text colors,
then you could get the same situation.  I admit this is an edge case,
but it's worth keeping in mind when setting up colors.
    As for the results produced by the W3C validator, they are correct
but rather terse for novice (or even experienced) CSS authors.  I
typically recommend the validator CSScheck at
<URL:http://www.htmlhelp.com/tools/csscheck/>, which has fairly
friendly error and warning messages.

--
Eric A. Meyer (eric(at)meyerweb.com)    http://www.meyerweb.com/eric/