RE: Immediate Redirection

by "Ryan Huggins" <RyanHuggins(at)>

 Date:  Sun, 10 Sep 2000 23:22:59 -0700
 To:  <hwg-techniques(at)>
  todo: View Thread, Original
The meta "Refresh" tag works good,
    <META HTTP-EQUIV="refresh" content="0" URL="/index.html">
 I've used it with the lag at 0 or 1 second, but search engines don't like
it, so I found this JavaScript that works nicely:

if (top == self) self.location.href = "./";
// -->

This is mainly for when someone goes directly to a page that you want in a
frame, but I use it for redirection as well.  Basically it says if I open
outside of a frame, go to a page that has frames, in my case the index.html.
You could probably get away with not using the if (top == self) part.

  Hope this helps,

     Ryan Huggins

Date: Sat, 9 Sep 2000 14:06:21 -0700
From: "Ben Russo" <>
Subject: Immediate Redirection

Hello list!

It's been a little while since I've written.  Anyways, here's the problem:

I have designed a new site to replace an old one I built a while ago.  I
could easily just replace the site, but I have the two sites on different
servers for a couple of reasons.  The idea came up to just redirect to the
new site from the old site.  I'm looking for a redirect method that
IMMEDIATELY redirects to the new site, so the only thing somebody might see
is a flash of white screen before the site pops up.  Now, I've used a meta
tag to do this before, but now I'm not sure if that's the best way.  Any

Thanks in advance...

Ben Russo
Flying Llamas...  ever wonder?