Re: Language Translation

by "China Net" <szcam(at)pub.sz.jsinfo.net>

 Date:  Thu, 8 Mar 2001 06:49:14 +0800
 To:  <hwg-techniques(at)hwg.org>,
"Jim Schneider" <jos(at)mosquitonet.com>
  todo: View Thread, Original
Jim,
I assume you are looking at something like the services offered by AltaVista
with their Babel translators.
I have checked the translations on these services especially for Chinese and
Russian and found them to be seriously lacking if any technical language is
used. The message is conveyed however the translation so far has been very
rough.
The Babel Chinese translator actually does not translate to mainland Chinese
(mandarin or Beijing language) but translates to Hong Kong (Cantonese)
language.
Currently I will have to keep my translator on the staff.
If you are looking to give people a feel of the site in their own language
then these services will suffice but I would recommend linking live
translations so that people know it is a live automatic translation
especially your customers and will then forgive the mistakes.
If you are looking to present a professional face to the website then use
these services to assist your translator in transcribing the site to the
language.
Hope this helps
Mark Bolton
Boltonmedia Consulting and Internet Services

Huaxian HDTV (English and Chinese Language Website)
www.boltonmedia.com/cn-display/