create a registry?

by "Roger Harness" <magic32(at)jps.net>

 Date:  Thu, 22 Nov 2001 22:58:25 -0800
 To:  <hwg-techniques(at)mail.hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
Hello good people,

I was just wondering if anybody has ever built any sort of registy, or
wish-list type thing?

The store I work for sells lots of gifty type stuff, and a simple registry
would seem to fit the bill. We could just be able to do this at the store,
or optimally, we'd like folks to be able to view/add/change the registry
from online.

Say we sold candles and candle paraphanalia. Customers could maybe come in
and say they'd like to come in and register for candle products they'd like
for xmas. Maybe we could give them a paper, they could right down any
sku/plu's, and a description of the product, then we could input that
product into our system under that customer's name. Then someone they know
comes in, asks for that persons wish list, we give it to 'em, with sku/plu
description, and price. they purchase what they want, and we mark that
product off the original persons list. (didnt' mean to condescend, just
wanted to make sure folks had a clue what i was talking about).

Obviously, this would be phenominal if folks could *also* do this all from
our website, but that's probably biting off WAY more then i could chew. I am
good with html and javascript, have done some cgi, and a tiny bit of mysql
(well, ok, class project), but that's about the extent of it. And i know
some Access, and this would be a windows application, if that matters. I've
just never attempted anything like this, and my boss would be *so* impressed
if i could nail this. Probably look good on a resume too :)

I guess I'm not really asking for a miracle, just maybe a gentle shove in
the right direction. Or someone to tell me that im probably too clueless to
even attempt anything like this.

Anyways, sorry for rambling. Too much turky and beer etc. Any
advice/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

-roger harness.

ps: for the record, i'm *not* against miracles.