RE: To Flash Or Not To Flash...

by "Joe Schliffer" <schlij(at)rpi.edu>

 Date:  Wed, 24 Apr 2002 22:24:26 -0400
 To:  "'HWG Techniques Email List'" <hwg-techniques(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
Hi,

I am new to the list, but have been lurking for a couple weeks; anyway
I'll use this as my first post =)

Personally I think flash pages like the one you sent are intrusive to
the user and (at least for me) makes them want to close the page
immediately.  It just looks like a giant popup ad or something.  Also
flash is not very portable--if you have a flash page you ALWAYS need to
code a regular html page.  Why bother with flash at all then?

Some people love the "flash" of flash, but personally I think it gets in
the way of an easy web experience (plugins to download for a new user
etc).  Flash can be used really well for multimedia websites (movies,
musical groups) but for clean pages that have a lot of text information
I feel flash is not a great choice.

Joe Schliffer
Servo Web Design
www.servowebdesign.com