RE: "Undelivered Mail..." has me pulling my hair out!

by "Brett Errington" <brett(at)opensearch.com>

 Date:  Sat, 8 Jun 2002 12:00:59 +0800
 To:  <hwg-techniques(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
We had a problem with this a while back. Clients were getting emails
from *me* with random stuff. I was getting random stuff also (including
undeliverable mails) suggesting that it was my computer that was
infected. However the way to track down that it's at least not your
computer is to get the System Administrator (of the ISP you use) to
determine the IP address of who sent the email using the system logs. We
found that the emails that came to me were being sent from outside our
network and the emails going to the clients were also outside the
network. We couldn't find who actually had the virus though, so we told
the client to check there computer and everyone in their company's
computers for viruses and eventually it stopped.

A few things you should do. Get clients/friends/co-workers to send email
attachments as zip files (not any executable files) and don't ever open
executable attachments .................................... NEVER
EVER!!!!!! Don't have preview-panes on in your Inbox. If your unsure
about an email delete it (you should really know the addresses that you
should be receiving email from). If you have a facility like Outlooks
"right-click message and select options" then use it to determine better
where the message originated from etc. I also don't think that
Anti-Virus programs are that great for email (lots of people will
disagree of course) and then there is also the problem that it's
possible a lot of viruses are written by the anti virus companies
themselves (how else do you think they can put out an update the second
after it's discovered lol). Just my 2 cents and please no debates about
this topic :) it's just my opinion.

Later,
Mr Brett

"That's a pain that will surely linger, and that's no lie"
- Ed Grimely