RE: Stripping content from other sites using "socket" connections

by "Michael Kear" <mkear(at)afpwebworks.com>

 Date:  Sun, 29 Dec 2002 23:12:25 +1100
 To:  "hwg-techniques@mail. hwg. org" <hwg-techniques(at)mail.hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
The point of Flash Remoting is that only the tiny window gets refreshed
when you hit 'submit', not the whole page.  So you reduce traffic, you
reduce bandwidth, and you make the page run smoother and quicker.

An example I have seen is an electronics manufacturer.  When you get to
the shopping cart, you select the broad category of appliance you're
looking for (say tvs) and when you get this kind of gizmo thing, you
click the dial on the gizmo and it turns, changing the content in the
screen.  You get the pictures of the tvs available, along with the
details of the tv.  And its only the contents of this screen that are
being sent and received. The rest of the page remains and is not
refreshed.  All the product description pricing and images etc come from
the database that's being used by the rest of the company for inventory,
accounting, warehouse management etc.   If you can't see that as a
benefit, then you're more one-eyed than I thought.

As to the proprietary thing... almost all dynamic sites are built on one
or another proprietary technology. It's futile to try to debate it.  You
can get all in a twist about licensing, but I haven't paid any license
fees.  I have 20 ColdFusion sites.  My hosting provider has paid
licensing, but my sites come out cheaper and faster - in 10th of the
time it took me to do simple tasks using perl, and FAR more dynamic and
easy to modify when the need arises.    When it comes down to it, my
sites are far cheaper even allowing for my share of the ColdFusion
licensing than the sites I used CGI on.

But you go ahead and stick with whatever technology you use now.  That's
fine. As long as the end result is up with what the world is doing.  Who
cares what technology you use, as long as it's competitive when you add
in your development costs and it can do the jobs the site owners want.

I am not going to enter into any further discussion about whether perl
is better than php is better than asp is better than cold fusion.    I
have more interesting ways to spend my time.

Cheers,
Michael Kear
Windsor, NSW, Australia
AFP Webworks.