Re: What Comes Next?

by =?iso-8859-1?B?TGF1cmkgVuRpbg==?= <optima(at)hot.ee>

 Date:  Wed, 4 Oct 2000 21:07:43 +0300
 To:  <hwg-techniques(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
Hello everybody,

Darrell wrote,
> I found Perl to be fairly easy to understand (coming from a C background),
> and use it often in conjunction with MySQL.  Not being argumentative,
> Lauri...just a second opinion...:)

To tell the truth, I haven't tried to learn Perl (but some people say that perl
is pretty hard), of course, it all comes down to the person. I had no
programming history, whatsoever and I found PHP had lots of simple and effective
functions. PHP is designed for usage on the web, so it should perform Ok. So,
PHP is great language plus I consider it to be my stepping stone to other
programming languages(it's easier to learn something new, when you already know
something similar).
Now, can anybody tell me where I could find tutorials to get started on Perl, I
would really like to learn something new, I'm also interested in tutorials for
ASP.

Ron wrote:
> I will almost always say to whomever - design to the standard
> not the browser. Yes PHP and MySQL are wonderful environments
> but they are not universally available. CGI is, so knowing
 > something about it and how it works is important.

Ron has a good point here, you have to have PHP and mySQL installed on your
computer, but as John just said: CGI has to be enabled and supported too.

Craig, try to learn as many things as you can (starting with those, suggested
here - In alphabetical order?). I personally hope that I know at least 3
programming languages by the time I'm 18 years old (PHP, ASP and Perl sound good
enough! ).
Reminder: Please send me links, where to start learning ASP and Perl.

Thanks in advance

Yours,
Lauri